casseroles. my favorite thing in the world! well...other than my crock-pot. but i love to make casseroles. they easily feed my large family of 6, WITH leftovers! if i feel like it, i usually double up on whatever i am making and freeze it, so it will be ready for me on a night i do not feel like cooking. this hamburger casserole is delicious. i have had my share of dry hamburger casseroles. not my cup of tea. so i wanted enough sauce to make it juicy, cheesy and meaty. i served it with some crusty garlic bread and it was silence at the table...again! just forks clinking on the plates. the best sound in the word! 🙂
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil -
- 2 lbs hamburger meat -
- 1/2 bell pepper - chopped
- 1/2 onion - chopped
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce -
- 1 (16 ounce) can chopped tomatoes -
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce -
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning -
- 1/2 cup chicken broth - *bouillon based
- 1 lb elbow pasta -
- 1 tablespoon butter -
- 2 cups cheddar cheese -
- preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- preheat a large skillet over high heat. once the pan is hot, add the oil. carefully place the hamburger meat in the oil. allow to sear by not moving the meat for a few minutes.
- toss the meat, breaking it into pieces with a wooden spoon. season the meat with salt/pepper to taste. if there is a good amount of oil in the pan, drain it off.
- add in the bell pepper, onions and fresh garlic. toss for a few minutes until tender.
- add in the worcestershire sauce and saute for another couple minutes.
- pour in the canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, italian seasoning and chicken broth. taste, season with salt/pepper accordingly. bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a bowl. salt the water generously and cook according to the package instructions. drain the pasta and pour it into a large bowl. season and salt/pepper to taste and stir in the butter while the pasta is hot.
- add in the reserved hamburger meat mixture. fold in one cup of the cheddar cheese.
- pour into a 15x10 baking dish. top with remaining cheese.
- bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.