it is something about stuffed shells that make you feel comforted. yes, we all know that generally stuffed shells are high in calories, fat and goodness but a little splurging never hurt anybody. so in brainstorming how i was going to make my shells, i started thinking white sauce, similar to my slow cooked chicken stuffed pasta with roasted garlic cream sauce recipe. i am not sure why chicken and broccoli did a running nose dive into my head but i was like, that's it! i went to work creating this recipe and couldn't wait to try it. my family loved it, particularly my girls, who love broccoli. these shells didn't stand a chance. if you're looking for a different way to eat chicken and broccoli, you gotta try this one.
- 1 box jumbo shells -
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil -
- 2 chicken breasts - cut into squares
- 1/2 onion - chopped
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 (12 ounce) bag frozen broccoli -
- 3 tablespoons flour -
- 2 cups milk -
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese -
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese -
- preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- lightly grease a 9x13 casserole dish. set it aside.
- bring a large pot of water to a boil. salt the water generously and add the shells. cook according to the package directions, drain and set aside to cool.
- heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. once hot, add the chicken. season with salt/pepper to taste and allow to sear by not moving the chicken for a few minutes. once seared, toss the chicken.
- add in the onion and garlic. saute for a few minutes, until the onions are tender.
- add in the broccoli and season with salt/pepper to taste. saute the mixture for a couple minutes.
- sprinkle the flour over the mixture and toss until everything is coated.
- slowly add in the milk. let the mixture come to a slow boil and reduce the heat to low. taste and season with salt/pepper accordingly.
- sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the mixture and stir it in.
- let the sauce cook for a few minutes on low.
- spoon some of the sauce in the bottom of the casserole dish.
- take each warm shell and fill it with the chicken and broccoli mixture. place each shell in the prepared casserole dish.
- sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the top.
- bake in the preheated oven for 15 - 20 minutes until brown and bubbly.