it is a labor of love but worth it. this cheesecake is the best of both worlds..vanilla and chocolate with a buttery caramel to help finish it off! if you are a fruity like me, instead of the caramel topping, add some macerated strawberries over the top. some good stuff.
- - for the crust
- 17 oreos - crushed
- 1/4 cup butter - melted
- - cheesecake filling
- 3 ounces bakers semi-sweet chocolate -
- 1/4 cup milk -
- 24 ounces cream cheese -
- 3/4 cup sugar -
- 3 eggs -
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla -
- 1/2 cup heavy cream -
- - for caramel sauce
- 1/4 cup butter -
- 1/2 cup brown sugar -
- 1/4 cup milk -
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla -
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- grease a springform pan well and wrap in aluminum foil around the bottom for a water bath.
- combine the crushed oreos and melted butter in a bowl. press the oreo mixture into the spring form pan on the bottom and up the sides about an inch. put in the oven for 15 minutes. remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- reduce the heat to 325 degrees.
- melt the chocolate in a double boiler over simmering water. once melted, add the milk and stir until smooth. set aside to cool slightly.
- in a medium sized bowl, mix the cream cheese and sugar with an electric mixer. add the eggs one at a time, mixing until just mixed. over mixing can cause cracks in your cheesecake. stir in the vanilla and heavy cream.
- pour in half of the cream cheese mixture into the cooled cookie crust, carefully spreading into an even layer. add half of the chocolate mixture, again spreading into an even layer. pour over the remaining cream cheese mixture, spreading even. dollop small amounts of the remaining chocolate mixture over the top of the final layer. using a skewer or knife, swirl the chocolate to create a marbing affect.
- place the pan in a larger tray and put on the shelf in the oven. pour boiling water from a kettle into the tray filling at least an inch. bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven. once the hour is up, cut the oven off. leave the cheescake in the oven for 3 hours. remove from the oven, cover with foil and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- for caramel sauce - melt the butter and brown sugar in a medium sized saucepan. bring to boil over medium-high heat until mixture thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. gradually stir in the milk and let continue to simmer until thickened slightly. stir in vanilla extract. remove from heat.
- slice, drizzle cheesecake with caramel sauce and experience heaven!