a delicious, creamy soup. great for entertaining!
- 1 pound asparagus - chopped, fibrous ends reserved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil -
- 2 cups vegetable stock -
- 1 tablespoon butter -
- 1/4 onion - chopped
- 1 garlic clove - minced
- 2 tablespoons sour cream -
- preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- transfer decorative ends of the asparagus to a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil. drizzle with olive oil, salt/pepper to taste and place in oven. roast for 5 - 7 minutes until slightly browned and caramelized. set aside.
- place fibrous ends of the asparagus in a medium sized pot. pour with veggie stock over ends. bring to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer. cook for about 20 - 30 minutes. remove ends and discard. reserve the stock.
- melt the butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat. add the onion and garlic and saute until tender. add the chopped asparagus and saute for another 5 minutes. add in reserved stock and let simmer for 20 minutes or until very tender. blend with an immersion blender or transfer to a blender and process until smooth. return mixture to pan and whisk in sour cream. taste, season with salt/pepper to taste, if needed.
- ladle into a bowl and garnish with reserved roasted asparagus tips.
be careful when using a blender to blending hot liquids. be sure to let the mixture cool slightly. also, make a vent to release steam by either opening the top portion of the lid or placing a towel over the blender while blending.