i love tuna casserole. i like to scoop it up with potato chips. rarely. okay, everytime. anyway, don't worry if you do not have a can of cream of mushroom or chicken soup. this recipe is canned soup free! 🙂
- 8 ounces egg noodles -
- 2 tablespoons canola oil -
- 1 tablespoon butter -
- 1/2 onion - chopped
- 8 ounces bella mushrooms - chopped
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper - chopped
- 1/4 cup flour -
- 2 cups milk -
- 2 (6 ounce) can tuna - drained well, fluffed
- 1 cup frozen peas - thawed
- 3/4 cup french's onions -
- 2 cups cheddar cheese - divided
- preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. cook until just al dente about 8 minutes and add peas for the last minute of cooking. set aside.
- heat oil and butter in a large stock pot over medium heat. add the mushrooms. season with salt/pepper to taste.
- once the mushrooms are browned, add the onions, garlic and bell pepper. season with salt/pepper to taste and cook until tender about 5 minutes. reduce heat to medium and add onion, garlic, and bell pepper. saute for 3 minutes until tender.
- sprinkle in the flour over the veggies, stirring to coat for about 3 minutes.
- add the milk and continue to stir allowing sauce to thicken for a few minutes.
- in a large bowl, add tuna, 1 cup of the cheddar cheese and the egg noodle/pea mixture.
- pour over the cream sauce. combine well.
- transfer to a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. top with remaining cheese and french fried onions.
- bake in the preheated oven until bubbly and lightly brown about 20 minutes.