my mom LOVES chicken wings. she loves them to the point where my hubby would call her 'momma chicken wing'. now the children love them as much as she does! she would come over with chicken wings while they were babies. when they were old enough to eat solid food, she would feed them chicken wing meat until they were able to learn how to eat it off the bone themselves. boy, can they eat some wings! those bones are always CLEAN. so with all this chicken wing eatin', i am always trying to create new recipes with them. i do not have any chicken wing recipes on my website that are fried. all my chicken wing recipes are baked. so, i thought i would fry some wings and come up with a nice sweet bbq sauce for them, similar to my love for kfc's honey bbq wings. the sriracha was the hubby's idea. he said, 'we need some heat with the sweet!' great suggestion baby. these were the bomb!
- 1 lb chicken wings -
- season salt to taste -
- 1 cup all purpose flour -
- 2 cups vegetable oil -
- - honey sriracha bbq sauce
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil -
- 1/2 onion - chopped
- 1 clove garlic - minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder -
- 1 teaspoon paprika -
- 1 cup ketchup -
- 2 tablespoons sriracha -
- 1/4 cup honey -
- preheat the oil in a large pan over medium high heat to 350 degrees.
- add the chicken wings to a flat place and season both sides with season salt/pepper to taste.
- add the flour to another plate. dredge the seasoned wings in the flour.
- carefully place the coated wings into the hot oil.
- cook about 4- 5 minutes per side, flipping constantly until the chicken is cooked through. remove to the chicken wings to paper towels to cool.
- meanwhile, add the teaspoon of vegetable oil to a small saucepan over medium heat. add the chopped onion and garlic. sweat the vegetables by cooking them until translucent. add in the seasonings, tossing for a minute to allow them to toast.
- add in the ketchup, the sriracha and honey.
- stir and allow the sauce to simmer until the flavors marry.
- place the reserved cooked chicken wings in the honey sriracha bbq sauce and turn until coated. place on a serving plate and serve.