my husband does back flips over this bbq pulled chicken. it is tender and melts in your mouth. use the reserved bbq sauce for the top of your sandwich or on the side if you are eating without a bun. great with our creamy homemade coleslaw. now, this makes A LOT of pulled chicken. you can freeze whatever you do not use or cut down on the serving amount. please tell me what bbq restaurant will give you bbq pulled chicken for this price!
- - for rub
- 1 tablespoon salt -
- pepper -
- 1 tablespoon cumin -
- 1 tablespoon onion powder -
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder -
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder -
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts -
- - bbq sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter -
- 1 onion - 1/4 chopped, 3/4 sliced
- 2 cups ketchup -
- 1 teaspoon chili powder -
- 2 teaspoons cumin -
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes -
- 2 teaspoons onion powder -
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder -
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar -
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke -
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce -
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard -
- for rub: combine all ingredients in a small bowl. sprinkle generously over chicken. put chicken in a bowl and let marinate over night.
- to make bbq sauce: in a small sauce pan, melt butter. add chopped onions and saute until translucent about 5 minutes. add remaining ingredients and stir until combined. let cool.
- to assemble: add about 1/4 cup of the bbq sauce on the bottom of the crockpot. place sliced onion on top pf the bbq sauce as a bed for the chicken. place marinated chicken on top of the onions. reserve 1/2 cup of your bbq sauce in a separate bowl. pour remaining bbq sauce on top of the chicken breasts. cook on low for 8 hours. shred the chicken and stir into the juices within the crockpot.