i was in the mood for some pasta, one afternoon. i decided i wanted chicken in it but wanted it to just melt away in my mouth. i immediately threw my defrosted chicken into the crockpot and then the ideas started flowing. i have to admit, this recipe does take some time. but trust me it is worth it! you can eliminate the crockpot step all together if you want. just dice the chicken and saute it, or even use a rotisserie chicken and shred it. either way, you will love this dish.
- - for chicken filling
- 3 chicken breasts -
- 1 teaspoon paprika -
- 1 onion - chopped
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 (10 ounce) can rotel tomatoes - drained
- 1/2 cup sour cream -
- 1/4 cup cilantro -
- 1 box jumbo shells -
- - for roasted garlic cream sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter -
- 3 tablespoons flour -
- 2 cups milk -
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese -
- 1 whole head garlic -
- season each chicken breast well with salt/pepper to taste and paprika. place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker. add the chopped onion and garlic over top. set the slow cooker to low and cook for 6 hours or until the chicken is cooked through and will shred easily. once the chicken is cooked, shred the chicken and stir the chicken into the juices that it created. pour into a bowl. add in the canned tomatoes, cilantro and sour cream. stir to combine. set aside.
- bring a large pot of water to a boil. season well with salt, some oil (to avoid sticking) and add the jumbo shells. cook according to the package directions and drain. set aside to cool.
- once the pasta has cooled, stuff the pasta shells with the chicken mixture and place them in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
- preheat the oven to 400 degrees. cut off 1/4 inch off of the top of the head of garlic, exposing the cloves. drizzle with olive oil, salt/pepper to taste, wrap in aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 30 - 35 minutes or until the cloves feel soft when pressed. allow to cool and squeeze the garlic out of the cloves into a small bowl. mash with a fork and set aside.
- in a medium sized pot, add the butter and allow to melt. whisk in the flour and allow to cook for a couple minutes to cook off the flour taste. whisk in the milk, and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. reduce to a simmer and allow to thicken. stir in mashed roasted garlic and parmesan cheese. taste and season with salt/pepper to taste. pour the roasted garlic sauce over the stuffed shells. reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees. cover and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until bubbly. if you like it crunchy and brown on top, uncover after the 30 minutes and place under the broiler.