love, love , love casseroles. they are easy to make and easy to reheat on a busy day. feel free to double the recipe and freeze!
- 1 pound dried ziti pasta -
- 1 tablespoon canola oil -
- 1 pound sweet italian sausage -
- 1 onion - chopped
- 3 garlic cloves - minced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper - chopped
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning -
- 1 (32 oz) can crushed tomatoes -
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese -
- 1 cup parmesan cheese -
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- bring a pot of water to boiling for the pasta. add salt and pasta and boil until pasta is al dente, about 10 minutes.
- heat canola oil in a saute pan over medium heat. add sausage and saute, breaking the sausage up into small pieces as it cooks. after sausage has browned, add onion, garlic and bell pepper. saute until the onions become translucent. add tomatoes and italian seasoning. cover and let simmer about 25 minutes.
- drain pasta well stir into pot of sauce. stir in 3/4 of the cheeses. transfer to a baking dish and top with remaining cheeses. bake until cheese is melted.