as usual, i was once again thinking about what to make the fellas for guys night. i was looking around my kitchen and saw some bananas. so i thought, i'll make something banana-y. my hubby came into the kitchen and i told him about my idea. he said, oh, you should make bananas foster cupcakes! now, i have made bananas foster crepes stuffed with sweet cream already but it peaked my interest, so i continued the brainstorming. my husband happened to be eating a honey bun and i focused in on it. he saw me and said, oh banana foster honey buns! and i said no, sticky buns! perfect! all i can say, is for a minute, it was complete silence while the boys were downstairs. i knew that was when they were trying the sticky buns! 🙂
- - for the dough
- 1/4 ounce package yeast -
- 1/4 cup warm water -
- pinch of sugar -
- 3/4 cup milk -
- 1/4 cup sugar -
- 6 tablespoons butter - melted
- 2 eggs -
- 1 teaspoon salt -
- 4 cups of flour -
- - filling
- 1/2 cup brown sugar -
- 1/2 banana - diced
- 4 tablespoons butter - softened
- - topping
- 6 tablespoons butter -
- 1 cup brown sugar -
- 1/3 cup dark corn syrup -
- 1 1/2 teaspoon rum extract -
- 1 banana - sliced on the bias
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans -
- for the dough - mix together the yeast, warm water and pinch of sugar in a large bowl until dissolved. let sit until foamy.
- stir in the milk, remaining sugar, melted butter, eggs, salt and 3 cups of the flour. turn out onto a floured surface. knead in the last cup of flour until the dough is smooth. place in a buttered bowl, and cover. let dough double in size, about an hour.
- in a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, chopped banana and softened butter.
- punch down the dough. place the dough on a floured surface and roll out into a large 12x9 inch rectangle. slather the banana butter mixture over the top of the dough.
- roll the dough up lengthwise. cut the dough into 1 inch slices. some of the filling may ooze out, but that is okay. make about 15 - 16 slices.
- for the topping - melt the butter in a saucepan. add in the brown sugar, corn syrup and rum extract to a sauce pan. allow to come to a slight bubble and stir in the pecans and sliced bananas.
- spoon one banana slice and some of the syrup topping into each muffin tin. with 16 sticky buns, i used 2 trays (12 in one and 4 in the other).
- place one dough slice over the top of the topping. allow to rise for about 30 minutes.
- preheat the oven to 375 degrees. place the trays in the preheated oven for about 20 - 25 minutes. turn the pan out onto a plate. enjoy!
feel free to use real rum in this recipe.