this recipe was absolutely another pantry dish. i knew i had potatoes in the pantry and this lonely bag of spinach in the refrigerator. surprisingly, a pack of bacon managed to sneak past my family and stay in the meat tray in the fridge for a few days! we are slippin' and loosing our touch. i have no idea how that pack of bacon stayed in there for that long. lol. but i'm glad it did. my idea for my dish was coming together. but i didn't want just plain sauteed potatoes and bacon. i wanted seasoned potatoes! so i threw together a bbq rub to toss the potatoes in along with the bacon and spinach. my hubby was a tad bit nervous, wondering how it was gonna taste. just no confidence in my behind, whatsoever! lol. but when he took a bite of the hash when it was done, he had to do one thing. apologize. 🙂
- 5 slices bacon - cubed
- 4 russet potatoes - peeled, diced
- 1/2 onion - chopped
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- bbq seasoning mix
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder -
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin -
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika -
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder -
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder -
- remaining ingredient
- 2 cups fresh spinach -
the video of this recipe can be found here...
- add the bacon to a large skillet and cook until nice and crisp. i used a cast iron pan. note: a cast iron skillet similar to the one found here. remove the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels.
- drain off the desired amount of bacon grease. add the potatoes to hot bacon grease over high heat. season well with salt/pepper to taste. cover with a lid and allow the potatoes to brown. toss the potatoes every 3 - 4 minutes until browned and crispy.
- add in the onions and garlic.
- toss into the potatoes and cook for a few more minutes.
- sprinkle the bbq seasoning mix over the potatoes and toss to coat.
- add in the reserved bacon and add the spinach. sprinkle a little more salt if desired to season the spinach.
- once the spinach has wilted into the potatoes, turn off the heat.
- serve hot!