one afternoon my hubby and i were invited over a friends house for dinner. they had a TON of amazing food! we started with an appetizer, that was an amazing bean porridge over rice. my hubby and i licked our plates. i mean, not a bean in sight! i asked them for the recipe and they would not give it to me...and wouldn't budge! so i went home and was determined to recreate it in some kind of way. my creation has become one of our family favorites, especially my dad's! we love black-eyed peas, anyway we can get them. especially my blackeyed pea cakes with paprika lime cream sauce and smokey turkey black-eyed pea recipes. even if you do not like black-eyed peas, you HAVE to try this recipe. i hope to change your mind. 🙂
- 1 (1 pound) package dried black-eyed peas -
- 1 (14 ounce package) pack kielbasa sausage - chopped
- 5 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 large onion - chopped
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning -
- 1 tablespoon paprika -
- 3 teaspoons cumin -
- 3 beef bouillon cubes -
- salt/pepper -
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch -
- 4 tablespoons water -
- in a large bowl, cover the blackeyed peas with water and soak overnight.
- in the slow cooker, combine all the ingredients and season well with salt/pepper to taste. add enough water to cover the mixture by a couple of inches. cook on low for 8 hours. in a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water. slowly pour the cornstarch mixture into the black-eyed pea mixture while stirring. let cook for another 30 minutes or until thickened. serve over our easy white rice recipe or our buttermilk cornbread.