cheesy chicken, rice and peppers casserole skillet
i know what you are thinking...'tijuana, you have went crazy with these skillet recipes!' you hit the nail on the head. i love heating up my gorgeous black shiny cast iron skillet, throwing in meat, fresh veggies and aromatics in it and tossing it straight in the oven. this time, i wanted a chicken and rice casserole. i wondered how it would turn out in the skillet. i definitely wanted to add in some creaminess but did not want to add a 'can of cream' anything. so, i spooned in some sour cream. it was delicious. the rice had the nerve to caramelize and crunch up a bit on the side of the pan... like some yummy crust. dee-lic-ous!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil -
- 3 chicken breasts - chopped into cubes
- 1/2 red bell pepper - chopped into cubes
- 1/2 green bell pepper - chopped into cubes
- 4 garlic cloves - minced
- 1/2 onion - chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme -
- 1 cup long grain rice - uncooked
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth - *i used bouillon based
- 1/3 cup sour cream -
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese -
- preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- preheat the oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat. i used a 14 inch cast iron. like this one here.
- once hot, carefully add the diced chicken in a single layer. season with salt/pepper to taste.
- let the chicken caramelize by not moving the chicken for a few minutes. toss the chicken and allow to cook through.
- add in the red and green peppers, garlic, onion and thyme. season again with salt/pepper to taste and saute the veggies for a couple minutes.
- add in the rice. toss the rice with the chicken/veggie mixture for a few minutes.
- slowly stir in the broth, scraping the bits off the bottom of the pan.
- stir in the sour cream.
- smooth the mixture into one layer and sprinkle the cheese evenly over the mixture as well.
- immediately place in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the cheese is browned and rice is cooked through.
- if you do not have a oven proof pan, transfer into a baking dish before you top with cheese. then top with cheese and place in the oven.
- spoon onto a plate and serve hot.
44 responses to cheesy chicken, rice and peppers skillet
Pingback: Quick Meal Monday: Cheesy Chicken, Rice and Peppers Skillet Recipe | Majic 102.1
Pingback: Cheesy chicken, rice, peppers skillet | What happens in the kitchen stays in the kitchen
Pingback: Cheesy Chicken, Rice and Peppers Skillet | Eat and Exercise