love this recipe submitted by heather w. much easier than stuffed bell peppers and tastes very similar. feel free to use different meats such as sausage, ground chicken or even ground turkey. you can also transfer this to a baking dish, top with breadcrumbs and bake in the oven. delicious!
- 1 cup long grain rice -
- 1 cup water -
- 1 chicken bouillon -
- 2 tablespoons canola oil -
- 1 lb ground beef -
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce -
- 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning -
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 onion - chopped
- 3 large bell peppers - cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 (16 ounce) can chopped tomatoes -
- 1 cup cheddar cheese -
- in a medium sized pot, bring the water to a boil. add the chicken bouillon and rice. reduce to low, cover with a lid and cook for 15-20 minutes until tender.
- heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add the oil. once hot, add the ground beef and let sear for about 3-4 minutes. season with salt/pepper to taste. break up the meat into pieces with a wooden spoon. add the garlic, onions, bell peppers and italian seasoning. season the veggies with salt/pepper (if needed). saute for about 3-4 minutes until slightly tender. add in the tomatoes, scraping the bits from the bottom of the pot. stir in the reserved rice; cover and let simmer for about 10 - 15 minutes until flavors blend. spoon desired amount onto your plate and top with cheese.