chicken and broccoli stuffed shells
it is something about stuffed shells that make you feel comforted. yes, we all know that generally stuffed shells are high in calories, fat and goodness but a little splurging never hurt anybody. so in brainstorming how i was going to make my shells, i started thinking white sauce, similar to my slow cooked chicken stuffed pasta with roasted garlic cream sauce recipe. i am not sure why chicken and broccoli did a running nose dive into my head but i was like, that's it! i went to work creating this recipe and couldn't wait to try it. my family loved it, particularly my girls, who love broccoli. these shells didn't stand a chance. if you're looking for a different way to eat chicken and broccoli, you gotta try this one.
- 1 box jumbo shells -
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil -
- 2 chicken breasts - cut into squares
- 1/2 onion - chopped
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 (12 ounce) bag frozen broccoli -
- 3 tablespoons flour -
- 2 cups milk -
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese -
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese -
- preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- lightly grease a 9x13 casserole dish. set it aside.
- bring a large pot of water to a boil. salt the water generously and add the shells. cook according to the package directions, drain and set aside to cool.
- heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. once hot, add the chicken. season with salt/pepper to taste and allow to sear by not moving the chicken for a few minutes. once seared, toss the chicken.
- add in the onion and garlic. saute for a few minutes, until the onions are tender.
- add in the broccoli and season with salt/pepper to taste. saute the mixture for a couple minutes.
- sprinkle the flour over the mixture and toss until everything is coated.
- slowly add in the milk. let the mixture come to a slow boil and reduce the heat to low. taste and season with salt/pepper accordingly.
- sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the mixture and stir it in.
- let the sauce cook for a few minutes on low.
- spoon some of the sauce in the bottom of the casserole dish.
- take each warm shell and fill it with the chicken and broccoli mixture. place each shell in the prepared casserole dish.
- sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the top.
- bake in the preheated oven for 15 - 20 minutes until brown and bubbly.
13 responses to chicken and broccoli stuffed shells
Pingback: Chicken and Broccoli Stuffed Shells | Eat and Exercise
Pingback: Tastee Recipe A Hearty Meal on a Budget - Tastee Recipe
Pingback: Maria's Mixing Bowl | CHICKEN AND BROCCOLI STUFFED SHELLS