chicken and cabbage stir-fry skillet
this was a 'clean out the refrigerator' dinner. i had just returned to town and didn't have time to go to the store before dinner. i explored the fridge to see what veggies the hubby had in the fridge for me to cook. we had a ton of salad fixings, like lettuce, tomatoes, carrots and cucumbers. we also had some cabbage and half of a bell pepper. my first thought was to make boiled cabbage, baked chicken and a pan of homemade buttermilk cornbread. but a stir-fry sounded much easier and it was something new! now all of my genius cooks out there have to be wondering about something that i mentioned above. why didn't i throw the carrots into this stir-fry since i was cleaning out the fridge? i thought the same thing. it would have added color and a tad bit of sweetness. but i am not a huge fan of cooked carrots and i, um... got lazy. who was gonna come peel some carrots for me? 🙂 it was a very tasty, easy midweek meal that we will surely add to our rotation.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil -
- 3 chicken breasts - cut into cubes
- seasoned salt -
- 2 tablespoons butter -
- whole head of cabbage -
- 3 cloves fresh garlic - minced
- 1/2 onion - sliced
- 1/2 bell pepper - sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder -
- 1 teaspoon onion powder -
- 1 teaspoon paprika -
- preheat a large skillet over high heat and add the oil.
- note: i used a cast iron skillet similar to the one found here.
- once the skillet is hot, add the chicken breasts. allow the chicken to sear by not moving it for a couple minutes. if you have a lot of chicken, cook it in batches. season the chicken (to taste) with seasoned salt and pepper. toss the chicken until cooked through and remove to a plate.
- allow the pan to get hot again.
- add the butter to the chicken drippings.
- sprinkle in the cabbage, fresh garlic, onions and bell pepper into the butter. sprinkle the seasonings over, along with salt/pepper to taste. saute over high heat until desired doneness. taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly. i like to have a slight crunch on my cabbage.
- add the reserved chicken back in. toss until incorporated.
this meal is very tasty with my homemade buttermilk cornbread or over rice.
53 responses to chicken and cabbage stir-fry skillet
Pingback: Chicken and Cabbage Stir-Fry Skillet | Eat and Exercise
Pingback: Chicken & Cabbage Stir-Fry! http://www.pomanmeals.com/chicken-and-cabbage-stir-fry-skillet/ | Migliori ricette veloci
Pingback: there is a craving | Migliori ricette veloci
Pingback: Chicken & Cabbage! http://www.pomanmeals.com/chicken-and-cabbage-stir-fry-skillet/ | Migliori ricette veloci
Pingback: Maria's Mixing Bowl | Chicken & Cabbage Stir Fry
Pingback: Maria's Mixing Bowl | CHICKEN & CABBAGE STIR-FRY