my kiddies devoured these eggrolls. great way to hide veggies! this recipe was created from food i had leftover in the fridge. we like them extra crunchy. 🙂 it turned out well!
- 2 cups canola oil, plus one tablespoon -
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts - chopped into cubes
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped -
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper - chopped
- 1/2 red onion - chopped
- 4 slices provolone cheese - cubed
- 1 egg - beaten
- 1 tablespoon water -
- 12 eggroll wrappers -
- preheat a large dutch oven or pot with the oil to about 375 degrees over high heat.
- heat the tablespoon of canola oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. add the chicken cubes; saute until browned and cooked through. add in the chopped spinach and saute until wilted into the chicken. add in the garlic, red bell pepper and onion. toss for a few minutes until veggies are slightly tender. set aside to cool. once cooled slightly, add in the cubed provolone. toss and set aside.
- in a small bowl, combine egg and water to make egg wash. set aside.
- to assemble - place a eggroll wrapper on a flat surface. using a brush or your finger, brush the egg wash over the 4 edges of the eggroll wrapper. drop about a couple tablespoons of the chicken mixture into the center of the eggroll skin. fold the bottom point over the filling. then overlap the left and right corners over the center as well and roll up.
- place egg rolls into the hot oil and fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown. remove from oil and drain on paper towels.