cinnamon french toast
my family loves french toast. it is one of our favorite breakfasts on saturday morning. if you would like, you can use a fancier bread, but regular white bread works very well. for this recipe i used honey wheat bread that had dried out a little bit, which used 14 slices of bread. the bread amount may vary depending on how much of the egg custard or type of bread you use.
- 4 eggs -
- 1 cup half and half -
- 1 teaspoon vanilla -
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon -
- 1 tablespoon sugar -
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg -
- 1/2 stick butter -
- 14 bread slices - dried out
- preheat a griddle or large skillet over medium high heat.
- in a flat dish, beat the eggs. add the remaining ingredients (except the butter) and mix well.
- once hot, add some butter to the griddle. add a slice of bread to the egg mixture turning a few times until well moistened and add to the griddle. cook until brown on both sides. repeat with remaining slices of bread.
- top with powdered sugar and serve with syrup, if desired.