we have had more snow days this year than EVER before. being that i have been stuck in the house and love to cook, the result is some creative cookin' in the kitchen! and i am sure that the hubby enjoys every minute of it. he had the greatest idea while he watched our son eat some oreos. he said, 'you should make cookies and cream bread pudding!' my mouth instantly started watering. so, risking the endangerment of my limbs, i carefully retrieved the oreo container out of the hands of our son and counted them. there were only 17 left. weird number, right? that was all i had to work with. but i was gonna work it. lol. this batch of cookies and cream bread pudding will absolutely be a recipe that i make many more times for my family along side my white chocolate bread pudding with strawberry sauce and eggnog bread pudding. it was some kinda good. 🙂
- 8 slices regular bread - wheat or white
- 17 oreos - crushed
- 1/4 cup butter - melted
- 2 cups half and half -
- 3 eggs -
- 1 teaspoon vanilla -
- 3/4 cup sugar -
- cream sauce
- 1 cup milk -
- 1 cup half and half -
- 1 cup sugar -
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch -
- 1 tablespoon butter -
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- cut the bread slices into cubes and add to a baking dish.
- crush the oreos (not too fine) with a rolling pin or your hand.
- sprinkle the oreos over the bread.
- drizzle the melted butter over the bread/oreo combination.
- in another bowl, mix the half and half, eggs, vanilla and sugar. pour over the bread/oreo/butter mixture.
- stir or press the bread into the milk mixture making sure everything is coated well.
- bake in the preheated oven for 45 - 50 minutes.
for cream sauce:
- add the milks to a saucepan over medium heat.
- whisk in the sugar and cornstarch.
- continue to whisk over medium heat until thickened, about 5 - 7 minutes. remove from the heat and stir in the butter.
- stir well.
- drizzle over the cookies and cream bread pudding...
- take a bite...