creamy chicken tetrazzini
this is truly a family favorite. casseroles are my loves! anytime i can throw something into one dish, i am all about it. with casseroles, we always have leftovers , it makes a TON of food and it is even better the next day. win, win. 🙂
- 8 ounces mezze penne pasta -
- 1 tablespoon butter -
- 8 ounces button mushrooms - quartered
- 3 tablespoons canola oil -
- 3 boneless skiness chicken breasts - cubed
- 1 onion - chopped
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1/3 cup flour -
- 2 cups chicken stock - *bouillon based
- 1 cup heavy cream - or half and half
- 1/3 cup peas -
- 2 slices bread - pulsed into breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese -
- preheat oven to 375 degrees. lightly butter a 9x13 baking dish.
- bring a large pot filled with water to a boil. season the water generously with salt and add the pasta. cook according to the package directions to al dente. drain and reserve.
- heat a large skillet over high heat. once hot, add the butter and mushrooms. saute over high heat, allowing the mushrooms to hold in most of their moisture from the high temperature. remove from pan and reserve.
- to same pan, add the canola oil and allow to get hot again over medium high heat. add the chicken and let sear for a couple minutes before tossing. salt/pepper the chicken to taste. add in the garlic, onions and dried thyme. saute for a few minutes until the onions begin to soften. add in the flour, stirring to coat the chicken mixture. continue to stir for a few minutes to cook off the raw flour taste. gradually stir in the chicken broth or homemade chicken stock, also scraping the bits off the bottom of the skillet. stir in the heavy cream. allow the sauce to come to a bubble and thicken. add in the peas and mushrooms; stir.
- pour in the reserved penne and stir to coat as well. pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and top with breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese.
- bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned and bubbly.
try adding in your favorite veggies. my hubby loves green peas so i thought it would be a tasty addition.
2 responses to creamy chicken tetrazzini