sometimes, when i have no clue of what to make for dinner, i will just take out a pack of chicken and figure it out later. i was thinking about creating a roasted lemon chicken recipe, so i had lemons sitting on the counter. when my son came home from school, he immediately asked if i would make some crispy chicken. they ask me that everyday. every. single. day. then i hit me. i'll make lemon chicken! when i told my oldest son my idea, he looked a little worried. he said, 'lemon chicken? does it taste like your orange chicken?' i said, um.. no, it's gonna taste like lemon chicken! anyway, it was wonderful. i tell ya, i love it when there is complete silence when we are eating. all you hear is smacking lips, and clanking forks. that's when it's good. 🙂
- 3 chicken breasts - sliced into strips
- 2 eggs -
- 1 cup all purpose flour -
- 1/2 cup cornstarch -
- 2 cups vegetable oil -
- - lemon sauce
- 3/4 cup chicken broth -
- zest of one lemon -
- juice of one lemon - about 3 tablespoons
- 1/3 cup sugar -
- 2 cloves garlic - grated
- 1 teaspoon ginger - grated
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch -
- 2 teaspoons water -
- place the chicken on a cutting board. slice the chicken breast in half lengthwise and slice into strips.
- add the eggs to a large bowl. lightly beat the eggs until combined. add the chicken strips to the egg mixture.
- in a flat dish, combine the flour and cornstarch. remove the chicken strips from the eggs and into the flour mixture.
- coat the strips in the flour mixture well.
- place the strips on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil to dry for a few minutes.
- preheat a pan with the vegetable oil over high heat. once the oil is hot (350 degrees), add some of the coated chicken strips. fry until golden, about 3- 5 minutes. remove to a plate lined with paper towels. repeat with remaining chicken strips.
- meanwhile, add the chicken broth, lemon zest/juice, sugar, garlic and ginger to a small sauce pan over medium heat. stir the sauce until the sugar dissolves.
- stir the cornstarch and water together in a small dish. stir the cornstarch mixture into the lemon sauce. bring to a boil and immediately reduce the heat to allow the sauce to thicken. remove the sauce from the heat.
- add the lemon sauce to a large bowl. add the fried chicken over the top. toss the chicken until well coated with the sauce.
- serve or rice or noodles.