we eat a LOT of s'mores in our house! one of our favorites is my s'more brownie recipes that my children ask for every second. as many of you know, i bought my ice cream machine over a year ago and only made one recipe with it, which was my orange sherbet. uh...recently. so when i decided to test the waters of making ice cream again, i decided it would be with one of our favorite treats. i thought it would be unique to make s'more ice cream with chocolate! anybody who likes chocolate, raise your hand? i took it one step further and added in some mini chocolate chips throughout it as well. this ice cream is a-mazing! we licked the bowl, the spoons and any that fell on the table. 🙂
- 2 cups heavy cream -
- 2 cups 2% milk -
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder -
- 1 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips - divided
- 1 tablespoon brewed coffee -
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract -
- 6 egg yolks -
- 1 cup sugar -
- 2 cups mini marshmallows - divided
- 1 cup crushed graham crackers - about 6 sheets
- the ice-cream maker that i used for this recipe is found here.
- in a large saucepan, add the cocoa powder, heavy cream and milk over medium heat.
- whisk until the mixture is combined and almost reaches a boil.
- remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of the mini chocolate chips. stir well and making sure no chocolate is stuck on the bottom of the pan.
- add in the coffee and vanilla. set aside.
- to bowl, add the egg yolks and sugar. blend with an electric mixer until creamy.
- ladle some of the reserved chocolate mixture into the eggs while whisking fast.
- then, slowly whisk the egg mixture into the chocolate mixture.
- heat the mixture over medium heat until thickened about 3 -5 minutes. when it is thick enough, it will coat a wooden spoon.
- remove from the heat, pour into a bowl and allow to cool. you can place in an ice bath to cool it quicker. once cool, refrigerate until cold.
- once cold, pour the mixture into your ice cream machine.
- churn according to your manufacturers instructions. once churned, remove the ice cream from the ice cream machine into a freezable air tight container.
- in a microwaveable bowl, add 1 cup of the marshmallows and microwave for about 20 - 25 seconds until melted. fold the melted marshmallows into the ice cream. also add in the remaining 1 cup of marshmallows along with the crushed graham crackers and remaining 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips.
- freeze for at least 4 hours and store in the freezable air tight container.