in a hurry to get prepare dinner for my kids one day, i took out a pack of ground beef to thaw. then i had the bright idea to make stuffed peppers. i got super excited and everything! then i opened the fridge, pulled open the veggie tray... and 3 peppers. uh oh. i can not make stuffed peppers for my 6 person family, with only 3 peppers! what am i gonna do? actually, i know EXACTLY what i'm gonna do. i'm gonna chop them suckas up and turn this into a casserole! yes! that's it. so, i seasoned the meat well with a ton of aromatics, tomato sauce, chicken broth and rice. it turned out excellent. it was super easy, very tasty and the kiddos lapped it down. those peppers thought that they got over on me but i showed them. 🙂
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil -
- 1.5 lbs ground beef -
- 1.5 teaspoons of salt/pepper -
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce -
- 1 teaspoon cumin -
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning -
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste -
- 1 onion - chopped
- 1 large bell pepper - chopped
- 1 tablespoon sriracha -
- 1 cup long grain rice -
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chopped tomatoes with chilies -
- 3 cups chicken broth -
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese -
- video tutorial found here -
- heat a large stock pot over high heat until very hot. add the tablespoon of oil and the hamburger meat.
- break the hamburger meat up into pieces as it cooks.
- add in the worcestershire sauce and toss.
- add in the tomato paste, stirring in and allowing to brown a bit with the meat.
- add in the onion and bell peppers. toss with the meat and allow to wilt slightly.
- add in the sriracha and rice. toss to coat each granule of rice with everything in the pot.
- pour in the canned tomatoes and chicken broth. stir well and bring to a boil.
- cover, reduce the heat to a simmer. allow to cook on low for 25 - 30 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- uncover and sprinkle with cheese. cover again to allow the cheese to melt.
- serve hot!