flank steak and blue cheese flatbreads
flank steak is not only easy to cook but pretty inexpensive if you divide it up into 3 meals. it is known that steak goes well with blue cheese. but... i am not a huge blue cheese fan. my grandmother loved blue cheese dressing on her salad and she always made it look so good when she was eating it! so i decided to step out of my comfort zone (for a hot minute) and try it. it was a marriage in my mouth! i have to say it was a pleasant surprise. who knows? maybe i only like it on pizza. with steak. i will have to wait for another day when i am feeling dangerous to step out and try it on something else. 🙂
- 1 (16 ounce) frozen, fresh or homemade pizza dough - cut in half (or two 8 ounce doughs)
- 1/4 cup olive oil -
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed -
- 1 pound flank steak (using only 1/2 pound in this recipe) -
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese -
- 1 roma tomato - chopped
- 1/2 red onion - sliced into strips
- 1 scallion - chopped
- 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese -
this is a '3 in 1 meal'.
- preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- take the raw 2 pound flank steak, and cut it in half - making two, 1 pound flank steaks. reserve 1 of the raw 1 pound flank steak for meal #3, crispy mongolian beef.
- preheat the grill and oil the grate. season the other 1 pound flank steak well with salt/pepper to taste on both sides. once grill is hot, place the flank steak on the grill. grill to desired doneness. remove from grill and let rest at least 10 minutes before slicing. slice the flank steak in half and reserve for '3 in 1 meal' #2, flank steak salad with sesame dressing. chop the remaining steak into cubes. set aside.
- in a small pan, add the olive oil and smashed garlic. turn on low. heat until garlic is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- you can find my homemade pizza dough here.
- lightly flour a cutting board. roll each dough out in to a rustic rectangle. brush on the garlic oil over the crust. top with mozzarella cheese, red onion, tomato, steak and blue cheese. bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden.