we love tacos! especially the kids. we will sit down at the table and eat tacos for hours. okay...maybe not that long but we enjoy ourselves. there is a spread of toppings, grilled chicken and we always have 2 types of shells at the table. crunchy and soft. it is a complete tie when it comes to who eats which one. right down the middle. this avocado cream puts these tacos over the top. all you really need is a bowl of it and a spoon, forget the doggone tacos. you gotta try this recipe. like now.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts -
- 2 teaspoons chili powder -
- 2 teaspoons cumin -
- 1 teaspoon paprika -
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne -
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder -
- 2 teaspoons onion powder -
- 1 tomato - chopped
- - soft taco accessories
- 1/2 onion - chopped
- 8 flour tortillas -
- 1/2 cup sour cream -
- - avocado cream
- 1 ripe avocado - pitted
- 3 ounces cream cheese - softened
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice -
- 2 cloves garlic - minced fine
- 1 tablespoon cilantro - chopped
- in a small bowl, combine all the seasonings with salt/pepper to taste. sprinkle over the chicken breasts and let marinate for at least 30 minutes to overnight.
- preheat an indoor or outdoor grill. lightly oil the grate. place the seasoned chicken breasts onto the hot grill and let cook for about 8-10 minutes per side or until juices run clear and is cooked through. let the chicken breasts cool before slicing. slice on the bias into thin strips.
- for avocado cream - place all the ingredients in a large ziploc bag. seal and mash the ingredients with your hand through the bag until smooth. spoon out in a bowl.
- to assemble, place a flour tortilla on a serving plate. add a layer of the avocado cream onto the tortilla. place sliced chicken on the top and garnish with desired toppings.
if you are not using the avocado cream right away, cover with plastic wrap (placing the plastic wrap directly on top of the cream) and place in a refrigerator. that way, no air will have contact and will keep the cream from browning. with the lemon juice incorporated, it should not turn brown for some time.