perfect for christmas morning! make on christmas eve and pop in the oven as everyone is opening gifts. this is a very versatile recipe. add more/less eggs, milk or bread according to your personal taste. toss in leftover veggies as well.
- 1 pound maple sausage -
- 1/2 onion - chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper - chopped
- 2 clove garlic - minced
- 6 eggs - beaten
- 1 cup half and half -
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard -
- 1/4 cup green onions - chopped
- 6 slices thick cut white bread - toasted
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese -
- preheat a medium sized skillet over medium high heat. add the sausage, breaking into pieces as it cooks. add the onion, bell pepper and garlic. cook until veggies are slightly tender and sausage is browned; drain.
- in a small bowl, add beaten eggs, half and half, green onions, mustard and salt/pepper to taste. mix well, and set aside.
- butter a 12 x 10-inch baking dish. line the pan with the bread - if using thick bread, 6 pieces will line the bottom. if using 12 regular slices, stack the extra 6 slices on top of the bottom row. spoon the cooked sausage mixture over bread and then the cheese.
- pour the egg mixture over the entire pan. cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- cook covered for 30 to 45 minutes. uncover and cook for 15 minutes more or until the egg mixture is set.
drizzle with maple syrup, if desired.