guy nite has rolled around AGAIN. oh, wait. it is every doggone thursday! i am not sure if i explained what 'guy's nite' is. my husband's best friends from college come over, they go down into the man cave, watch sports, hang out and eat. not too shabby, huh? each one of them takes turns paying for the food and i always provide some type of dessert. so, the bonus of this testosterone filled night, is i can test out new dessert recipes on them. so today, i knew i wanted to work with blueberries i had in the freezer. i only have one blueberry muffin recipe on my website and that needs to change. thankfully, that change was made today. it was DEELICCIIOOUUSS! 🙂
- 1 and 1/2 cup flour -
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder -
- 1/2 teaspoon salt -
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick) - room temperature
- 1 and 1/3 cup sugar -
- 2 eggs -
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract -
- zest 1 lemon -
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt -
- blueberry topping
- 2 cups frozen blueberries - defrosted, drained well
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice -
- 2 teaspoons flour -
- powdered sugar -
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees. lightly spray an 8 inch spring form pan. i used a pan similar to the one here. set aside.
- in a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. set aside.
- in a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until creamy.
- blend in each egg, one at a time.
- blend in the vanilla extract and lemon zest, as well.
- add in the reserved dry ingredients alternatively with the yogurt until blended. try not to over mix.
- spoon the batter into the prepared spring form pan and spread out evenly.
- in a small bowl add the defrosted blueberries, along with the lemon juice and flour. stir to coat.
- sprinkle evenly over top of the prepared batter.
- place in the preheated oven for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- allow the cake to cool slightly before carefully removing the spring-form pan.
- garnish the blueberry cake with powdered sugar, if desired. slice...
i used frozen blueberries because that is all i had on hand. feel free to add fresh ones if you like. either way, it will be delicious.