rosemary chicken and apple pot
i, once again, stepped out of my comfort zone on this one. i am not a huge 'fruit in my meal' type of person. pineapple, raisins, apples... need to stay in my dessert. lol. but this particular day, my apples started talking to me. they said, 'we are in love with that pack of chicken over there thawing in the sink! throw us in that cast iron pot on the stove and it will be bliss!' man, o man. after i cooked and photographed the meal, i sat at the table eating it. i did not move for a while. big kids in school, little kid napping, hubby working from home in the other room. just me, my plate and the entire pot. i was in love! 🙂
- 3 slices of bacon - chopped
- 1 onion - quartered
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 apples - quartered, skin on
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary -
- 3 chicken breasts - cut into large pieces
- 1/4 cup flour -
- 1 cup apple juice -
- 1/2 cup chicken stock -
- preheat a large stock pot, over medium high heat. add the bacon. cook the bacon, tossing until browned. add the onion, garlic, apples and dried rosemary into the bacon. season with salt/pepper to taste.
- toss and cook until the apples are slightly tender. remove the items with a slotted spoon to a bowl, leaving the drippings in the pan.
- add the flour to a plate. season each piece of chicken with salt/pepper to taste and coat in the flour. add the chicken breast pieces to the hot bacon drippings and cook them over medium high heat for about 3-4 minutes on each side until to brown. try not to overcrowd the pan. cook in 2 batches if needed.
- add in the apple juice and chicken broth, scraping the bits from the bottom of the pan. bring the mixture to a boil. cover and reduce to simmer. cook for about 6-8 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. remove the lid and add in the reserved apple mixture. toss to coat, cook for another 3 minutes to let the flavors marry. serve hot.
2 responses to rosemary chicken and apple pot