seared chicken and balsamic caramelized onion pizza flats
this recipe can be tedious with all the different components! but trust me, it is worth the work! 🙂 like it spicy? use pepper jack cheese! try with different meats. great use for leftover meats.
- 1 (16 ounce) frozen or homemade pizza dough - thawed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil -
- 2 tablespoons butter -
- 2 onions - thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar -
- 2 tablespoons canola oil -
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts -
- seasoned salt/pepper -
- 1/3 cup sour cream -
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dijon mustard -
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese -
- 3 scallions - chopped
- preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- you can find my homemade pizza dough recipe here.
- cut the dough into 6 equal pieces and roll out to about 6-7 inch rounds. brush the tops with some olive oil, place on lined cookie sheets or pizza trays and put in the oven. monitor closely, allowing the doughs to bake until lightly brown. please do not let them get too dark or they will be too crunchy to fold over. transfer to a cooling rack. reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- preheat a medium sized skillet over medium high heat and add the butter. add the sliced onion, balsamic vinegar and season with salt/pepper to taste. cook, stirring occasionally over low heat until soft and caramelized, about 15 minutes.
- preheat a oven safe skillet over high heat. meanwhile, season the chicken breasts with season salt and pepper to taste. add the canola oil to the pan. once the skillet is hot with a slight smoke, add the chicken breasts face side down. let sear on that side for about 3-4 minutes until a dark brown crust forms. flip the chicken and place in the preheated 375 degree oven for 10 - 15 minutes or until cooked through (if you do not have a oven safe skillet, transfer the chicken to a baking dish after searing.) remove from oven and let rest. then cut into bite size pieces.
- in a small bowl, combine the sour cream and dijon mustard. set aside.
- to assemble - place pizza doughs on baking sheets. spread the dijon cream onto the dough. sprinkle with some mozzarella cheese, add some caramelized onion, chopped chicken, and scallions. top with more mozzarella cheese. place back in the oven until cheese is melted. remove from oven and fold in half.