boy, do i love shrimp. my favorite way to eat shrimp is at a japanese steakhouse. my absolute FAVORITE restaurant. but i do not like the cost of it or eating out! i have created ways to make shrimp dishes when i find it on sale and this is one of them. a great way to stretch the price of shrimp is to add it to pasta! this sauce would also be great with any other protein or veggie.
- 1 pound fettuccine noodles -
- 2 tablespoon canola oil -
- 1 tablespoon butter -
- 4 garlic cloves - minced
- 1 (14 ounce) bag of frozen large shrimp, defrosted and patted dry -
- 1/2 onion - chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme -
- 1 can crushed tomatoes -
- 3/4 cup half and half -
- 1 teaspoon sugar -
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, plus garnish -
- in a large pot, bring water to a boil. add fettuccine and cook according to package instructions. drain and set aside.
- preheat the large skillet. once hot add the oil and butter. add the garlic, onion, thyme and salt/pepper to taste; saute until garlic is fragrant and onions are slightly tender. add the shrimp, salt/pepper to taste and saute until pink. add the crushed tomatoes, half & half and sugar. let simmer until slightly thickened. add the parmesan cheese and reserved fettuccine noodles. toss well and serve with parmesan sprinkled on top.