slow cooker bean kale and sausage stew
during the winter season, all i want to do is eat stew and soups. it comforts me! every week, i will make some kind of soup and eat off of it for the week. so with my reoccurring habit, i am usually trying to create new soup recipes so i don't get bored. one of my readers ellen, told me that she created a yummy soup for her hubby that was made with greens, potatoes and sausage. ding, ding! nice soup idea! she told me let her 3 ingredients inspire me! i did not use the potatoes in this recipe but i am loving that idea and will use her exact trio very soon. i LOVE anything greens, as i can eat them cooked alone with some olive oil. this stew is incredible. a nice rich broth, creamy beans, a kick from the sausage and the freshness from the greens makes this an amazing stew that blew me away. we will be making this one very often!
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil -
- andouille sausage links (13.5 ounces) -
- 1/2 pound dried navy beans -
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes - or 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water -
- 1 large beefsteak tomato - chopped
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce -
- 1 onion - chopped
- 1 celery stalk - chopped
- 4 garlic cloves - minced
- 1 bay leaf -
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves -
- 3 cups kale - chopped
- soak the navy beans in a large bowl of water overnight. drain, set aside.
- preheat a large skillet over high heat. once hot, add the oil and sausage links. brown the sausage on all sides.
- remove from the heat to a cutting board. sliced into bite sized rings.
- add the reserved beans and sausage to the slow cooker, along with the remaining ingredients, except the kale. season with salt/pepper to taste.
- cook on high for 4 hours or low for 5 - 6 hours or until the beans are tender and flavors marry.
- pull all the stems off the kale. fill a sink with water and wash the kale in the sink until clean. drain well.
- add the kale to the slow cooker, taste and season accordingly.
- cook for 1 hour on high or 1 and 1/2 hours on low.
so hearty and good...
- featured on hun...what's for dinner.
9 responses to slow cooked bean kale and sausage stew