stuffed french toast with blueberry orange syrup
my family LOVES ihop. we love to eat and ihop is where it's at! one thing that my hubby orders every single time is stuffed french toast with blueberry sauce. like every. single. time. there is no need to explore and try anything else on the menu, cause apparently, everything else sucks. the only possible thing to eat is the stuffed french toast with blueberry sauce. lol. so, it seemed fitting to try my hand at recreating this amazing breakfast item from ihop at home. i was very intimidated cause this could cost me my marriage. i mean, who wants to get divorced over messing up a special order item from one of the biggest chains in america? so, i went for it. i put it all on the line! and thankfully, it worked, ya'll! he LOVED it. and so did the kids. i have to admit, i'm kinda proud. not only did i save us money by making it at home but i got some brownie points, too! 🙂 want some brownie points, as well? surprise your lover and make this for valentine's day! go the extra mile and bring them this stuffed french toast breakfast in bed! ah ha! how about that?!? 🙂
gotta try this one! it's some kinda good.
- blueberry orange syrup
- 3 cups frozen blueberries - divided
- 3/4 cup water -
- 1 cup sugar -
- 1 orange - zest and juice needed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch -
- 1 tablespoon water -
- french toast
- 6 eggs -
- 2 tablespoons sugar -
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon -
- 1 teaspoon vanilla -
- 2 cups milk -
- 1 package cream cheese - room temperature
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar -
- 1 loaf french bread - sliced 3 inches thick
- 1/2 stick butter - for cooking
- heat 1 1/2 cup of the blueberries, water, sugar, orange zest and juice of the orange in a pan over medium heat.
- simmer for a few minutes until the blueberries start to burst.
- mix the cornstarch and water together in a small bowl. stir into the blueberry mixture and simmer until thickened.
- remove from the heat and stir in remaining blueberries.
for the french toast:
- add about a tablespoon of the butter to a pan over medium high heat.
- in a medium sized bowl, mix together the eggs, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and milk. set aside.
- in a small bowl, blend the cream cheese and powdered sugar together until smooth.
- slice the french bread directly in the center of the piece of bread, creating a pouch. spoon some of the cream cheese mixture into the pouch.
- dip the cream cheese filled slices into the egg mixture, allowing it to soak up the mixture well.
- add to the preheated pan into the butter.
- cook on one side for about 3-4 minutes. flip the toast, add more butter and cook until cooked through and brown.
- spoon the blueberry sauce over top!
2 responses to stuffed french toast with blueberry orange syrup