ya'll know i LOVE my grocery sales. this particular day, shredded cheese was on sale, which included shredded parmesan. i knew i wanted to make chicken and broccoli alfredo but it was going to be 5 degrees in our area and soup would hit the spot. this soup was so flavorful! we LOVED the soup and the hawaiian rolls that i served with it were the perfect 'sopping' device. warm, comforting and perfect for this cold winter. bbbrrrr. 🙂
- 1/4 cup butter - (1 stick)
- 1/2 onion - chopped
- 4 cloves garlic - minced fine
- 1/2 cup flour -
- 3 cups chicken broth - *bouillon based
- 4 cups milk - i used 2%
- 2 cups parmesan cheese - grated, plus some for garnish if desired
- 3 chicken breasts - cubed
- 8 ounces broken fettucini - or pasta of your choice
- 2 cups frozen broccoli -
- in a large stock pot, add the butter and allow it to melt over medium heat.
- add in the onions and garlic. saute until translucent.
- sprinkle the flour over the garlic/onions and butter.
- stir together the mixture and allow to cook for a few minutes to cook off the flour taste.
- slowly whisk in the chicken broth and milk. allow to thicken over medium heat. NEVER allow this soup to boil. it will break and look curdled.
- stir in the parmesan cheese until melted. taste, season with salt/pepper to taste.
- carefully drop in the raw chicken, cover and simmer for about 15 - 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- meanwhile, boil another pot of water. salt the water generously and add the pasta. cook according to the package instructions. about 3 minutes before the pasta is done, add in the frozen broccoli.
- drain the pasta and broccoli well, ensuring there is no water that can dilute the soup.
- add into the soup. stir to combine and serve!
feel free to use heave cream or half and half instead of milk. although i used milk, it was very creamy and rich. like shrimp alfredo? toss in some shrimp!