bell pepper chicken stir-fry
i can not express to you enough how much i LOVE stir-fry's! i was in the mood for some asian flavors for dinner and while i was at the store, the bell peppers caught my attention. not only were they on sale, but they were gorgeous. right then, i knew i wanted to make a bell pepper stir-fry. when i got home and started preparing dinner, to my surprise, i had a red bell pepper sitting in my fridge. i thought to myself, the color and the sweetness of the red bell pepper would be perfect in my stir-fry! the stir-fry was a huge hit with the family and it was gorgeous to look at. no need to order out tonight cause we are ordering in!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil -
- 3 chicken breasts - cubed
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger - grated
- 1 onion - sliced
- 2 green bell peppers - cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper - cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups chicken broth - *bouillon based
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch -
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce -
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil -
- preheat a wok or large skillet over high heat. once hot, add the oil and chicken. season the chicken with salt/pepper to taste.
- allow the chicken to sear by not moving for a few minutes. toss the chicken and saute until cooked through. add the garlic, ginger and onion; toss.
- add in the bell peppers and season with salt/pepper to taste. saute the mixture for a couple minutes.
- in a bowl, add the chicken broth, cornstarch, soy sauce and sesame oil. whisk until combined.
- pour the chicken broth mixture over the chicken mixture. allow the sauce to thicken by bringing it to a boil. stir until the sauce us fully thickened.
- remove from the heat.
- serve over rice or noodles.
another protein such as pork, beef or even shrimp would work great, too. to make vegetarian, feel free to add more veggies and use veggie stock. this is a perfect meal to clean out the fridge with.
5 responses to bell pepper chicken stir-fry