open faced chicken and grilled corn quesadillas w/cilantro lime sour cream
my family loves anything with cheese, which means we LOVE quesadillas! we like to make them with all kinds of fillings, but this time, i upped the ante. walmart had this amazing sale on fresh corn, so i picked up several ears. as you all know, we then left on vacation to florida and i thought to myself, 'doggonit, my corn'! but when i returned, it was fine. i did, however need to use it quickly. this recipe came to mind pretty fast with things i had on hand in my pantry. i usually always have sour cream in the fridge, chicken in the freezer, and tortillas in the cabinet. we thoroughly enjoyed this recipe. the tender chicken, sweet corn, creamy spice from the cheese and crunchy shell put it over the top.
- 3 cups water -
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes - or 3 cups chicken stock (omit water)
- 1/2 onion - quartered
- 3 cloves garlic - smashed
- 3 chicken breasts -
- 3 ears, fresh corn -
- 1 tomato - chopped
- 1 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese -
- 8 (10 inch) flour tortillas -
- - cilantro lime sour cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream -
- juice of 1 lime -
- 2 tablespoons cilantro - chopped
- salt/pepper to taste -
- in a large skillet, add the water, bouillon cubes, onion, garlic and salt/pepper to taste.
- bring to a boil and let simmer for about 5 minutes to let flavors marry. taste the broth and see if it is seasoned appropriately.
- add the chicken breasts to the broth. the water should cover the top of the chicken by half an inch. bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- cover the pan partly with a lid and let simmer for 10 minutes flipping halfway through. remove from the heat and cover all the way. let sit for another 15 minutes. remove the chicken from the broth and shred.
- add the chicken to a bowl, adding about 1/4 cup of the flavorful cooking liquid to keep the chicken moist (not too moist or you will have soggy quesadillas.) set aside.
- PLEASE do not discard the broth. strain it and save it for a soup, gravy or other recipe that calls for broth.
- grease and preheat an indoor or outdoor grill. add the ears of corn.
- cook the corn, rotating to get grill marks on all sides. set aside until cool.
- once cool enough to handle, cut the corn off the cob. set aside.
- preheat the oven to 400 degrees. lightly spray each tortilla with cooking spray on both sides.
- place in the preheated oven for 10 minutes on one side, flip and cook for another 5 minutes on the other side or until lightly browned.
- for the cilantro lime sauce - combine the ingredients in a small bowl. season with salt/pepper to taste.
- to assemble: add some of the chicken to a crispy tortilla, some of the grilled corn, chopped tomato and some pepper jack cheese. place the quesadillas on a baking sheet.
- bake in the preheated oven until the cheese melts. drizzle the cilantro lime sauce over the quesadillas.
- cut into wedges. enjoy!
2 responses to open faced chicken and grilled corn quesadillas w/cilantro lime sour cream