this is chili season! i love to eat my ground beef and black bean chili but looking for a little bit of a 'hands off' twist, i thought i would make a chipotle chicken chili. kick it up a bit! it's the perfect time of the year, too. it's cold and near the end of football season, which makes chili perfect for tailgating. it warms you up real good and the kick from the chipotle peppers warm you up even more. the best part is, you can throw it in the crock-pot and it is ready for you, when you are ready for it. win, win! no pun intended... 🙂
- 3 cups chicken stock - *bouillon based
- 1 tablespoon cumin -
- 1 tablespoon chili powder -
- 2 teaspoons paprika -
- 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning -
- 1/2 onion - chopped
- 4 garlic cloves - minced
- 1/2 bell pepper - chopped
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes -
- 2 cans navy beans - rinsed, drained well
- 3 chicken breasts - sliced and cut into cubes
- 3 adobo peppers - chopped
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce -
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch -
- 3 tablespoons water -
- add the chicken broth, seasonings, chopped veggies and canned tomatoes to the crock-pot.
- rinse the cans of beans through a sieve and add to the crockpot.
- cut the chicken into cubes and season with season salt/pepper to taste before adding to the crock-pot.
- chop 3 of the chipotle peppers and add it, along with 2 tablespoons of the adobo sauce to the crockpot.
- cook on low for 6 - 8 hours.
- in the last couple hours of cooking, combine the cornstarch and water together in a small bowl. pour into the chili. taste, season accordingly.
- stir well.