creamy mushroom risotto
risotto is delicious by itself, and since i love mushrooms, it puts it ove the top! this meal is as fancy as the come. it looks very sophisticated and is absolutely delicious. risotto can be made with many ingredients and is sometimes made with white wine added. try it with your favorite flavors and ingredients. don't forget to try the leftover crispy risotto cakes recipe.
as much as i like to use bouillon to save money, it will not work very well in this recipe. by simmering the stock until absorbed you will concentrate its saltiness and your risotto will be unbearably salty before even adding the cheese.
- 6 cups low sodium chicken stock - or veggie stock
- 4 tablespoons butter - divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil -
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms -
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms -
- 2 cloves garlic - finely minced, divided
- 1/2 onion - chopped
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice -
- 2 tablespoons chives - chopped
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese - grated
- in a medium sized saucepan, heat the chicken stock to a simmer. keep at a simmer and cover.
- in a large pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the butter and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. stir in the mushrooms, half of the garlic and salt/pepper to taste; stirring, until mushrooms are browned about 5 - 8 minutes. transfer to a bowl and set aside. add another tablespoon of butter and olive oil to the pan. add rice, onions and remaining garlic. stir to coat and cook until rice is lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. add 1/2 cup broth to the rice, and stir constantly until the broth is absorbed. continue adding broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring continuously, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is al dente, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- remove from heat, and stir in reserved mushrooms, remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, chives, salt/pepper to taste (if needed) and parmesan cheese.