this is a tasty casserole that takes no time! if you would like more of a bite, consider substituting arugula or broccoli rabe. a great casserole to double up on and freeze!
- 8 ounces shell pasta -
- 1 pound, hot chicken sausage links -
- 1 (10 ounce) bag spinach -
- 1 onion - chopped
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme -
- salt/pepper -
- 1 tablespoon flour -
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes -
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese -
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese -
- preheat oven to 400 degrees. lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- bring a large pot of water to boil. add salt and pasta. cook for about 6-8 minutes until pasta al-dente. drain the pasta in a colander. set aside.
- preheat a large skillet over medium heat with canola oil. take sausage out of casings and add to the pan. brown the sausage, breaking it up into pieces as it cooks. add in the spinach, onions, garlic, dried thyme and salt/pepper to taste. stir and saute until onions are soft and spinach is wilted, about 5 minutes. add the flour and stir to coat. stir and let cook for a minute to cook off the flour taste. add the tomatoes, breaking them up with a wooden spoon. reduce heat to a simmer and let cook for 10 minutes. add the pasta to the tomato mixture along with half of the mozzarella and stir to combine. pour into the prepared casserole dish and top with remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. bake for 15 - 20 minutes until bubbly and cheese melts.