szechuan crispy shredded chicken
the absolute favorite meal of our household. it will be requested everyday, unless i shut it down. lol. no need to call out! we're ordering in tonight, folks. the sweet and spicy sauce in this dish is something you have to try!
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts - cut into matchstick strips
- 1/2 cup cornstarch -
- 1 1/2 cup flour -
- 1 egg - beaten
- 2 cups canola oil -
- 1/4 cup water -
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar -
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce -
- 1/3 cup brown sugar -
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes -
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil -
- 1 tablespoon ginger - grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced -
- 1 onion - sliced into strips
- 1 bell pepper - sliced into strips
- sesame seeds (optional) -
- add oil to a wok or deep frying pan and preheat to 375 degrees.
- place egg in a bowl, add chicken and combine. remove strips of chicken, shaking off excess and put in a large ziploc bag. add flour, cornstarch and salt/pepper (to taste) to the bag. seal the bag and toss to coat. place strips on a sheet tray lined with aluminum foil for about 10 - 15 minutes to allow flour to adhere to the chicken. add chicken strips to hot oil and stir-fry for about 5 minutes or when golden brown and cooked through. discard oil.
- in a mixing bowl, combine water, soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, sesame seed oil, red pepper flakes, garlic and ginger. set aside.
- in the same wok or deep frying pan add the last tablespoon of canola oil. stir fry onion and bell pepper for a minute. add the sauce and saute for a 30 seconds. add the fried chicken strips and toss to coat, cooking until heated through. sprinkle sesame seeds over the top, if desired.
6 responses to szechuan crispy shredded chicken