creamy chicken stew with dill dumplings
it is nothing like a comforting bowl of chicken and dumplings. any veggies in the fridge that are not being used and may go bad? toss them in the stew!
- 3 tablespoons butter -
- 1 onion - chopped
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- 2 ribs celery - chopped
- 2 carrots - chopped
- 1 bay leaf -
- 1/3 cup flour -
- 1 quart chicken broth -
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken thighs - cut into chunks
- 10 ounces of peas -
- - for dumplings
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill -
- 3/4 cup flour -
- 1 3/4 teaspoon baking powder -
- 1/2 teaspoon salt -
- 1/2 cup milk -
- place a large pot on stove over medium high heat. add butter, garlic, onion, celery, carrots and bay leaf and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. season mixture with salt/pepper. add flour to the pan, stir until it evenly coats the veggies and cook 2 minutes, cooking off the raw flour taste. stir in chicken broth to the pot and bring to a boil. season pieces of chicken thighs with salt/pepper to taste and place in the broth. let simmer for 20 minutes.
- mix together, dill, flour, baking powder and salt. stir in milk until combined making sure not to overmix. in a bowl using 2 spoons, drop tablespoonfuls of dumpling batter into the pot, spacing dumplings evenly. cover pot tightly and reduce heat to low. steam dumplings for 20 minutes. the stock with thicken even more from the flour in the dumplings. add in peas and cook until peas are heated through, about 3 minutes.
2 responses to creamy chicken stew with dill dumplings