cheddar scallion corn cakes
these corn cakes are great chili toppers or alongside a soup. they have a hint of sweet and are crunchy on the edges. my hubby goes crazy over these corn cakes! if you love corn bread, you will love these cakes.
- 1/2 cup canola oil -
- 1 cup flour -
- 1 1/2 cup cornmeal -
- 1/2 teaspoon salt -
- 2 teaspoons baking powder -
- 3/4 cup sugar -
- 1 and 1/2 cup milk -
- 1 egg - lightly beaten
- 3 scallions - thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese -
- heat the oil in a nonstick skillet.
- meanwhile, combine flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder and sugar in a bowl. gradually add milk and stir until just combined. depending on the type of milk you use, you may not use all the milk. add in enough milk until well moistened but still thick like a pancake batter. try not to make the batter too thin or it will run in the oil. add egg; stir. fold in the sliced scallions and cheddar cheese.
- ladle the batter into the hot oil in 2 - 3 inch rounds. cook on each side until golden brown. transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
one response to cheddar scallion corn cakes
Pingback: Southern Style Cooking Double Pinterest Win! | The Pinterest Junky