maple glazed vanilla donuts with bacon
so, as many of us do every sunday night, we sit down with some popcorn to watch masterchef. chef ramsay lays down the law in that place while looking SO smmooooth! in a recent episode, they were required to make donuts. one of the guys made a donut with proscuitto on top. i almost licked the doggone tv screen. i wanted to make my own version of a donut with bacon. my family is very happy that i did. it was a little bit of scraping in the kitchen, with bacon flying as we ate the donuts in silence. eh hem.
- 4 slices bacon -
- 2 cups flour -
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder -
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda -
- 3/4 cup sugar -
- 1/2 teaspoon salt -
- 1/4 cup butter - melted
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil -
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract -
- 2 eggs -
- 1 cup milk -
- 2 cups confectioners sugar -
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup -
- 1/4 cup milk -
- preheat the oven to 375 degrees. line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. place the strips of bacon on the prepared sheet and put it in the oven. bake for about 10 minutes on each side until crisp.
- remove the bacon strips to paper towels to drain.
- once cool enough to handle, chop into small pieces. set aside.
- lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
for the donuts -
- lightly spray the donut pan with cooking spray. set aside.
- i used a wilton nonstick 6-cavity donut pan to make these donuts.
- in a large bowl, add the dry ingredients of flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt. set aside.
- in another bowl, mix together the wet ingredients of butter, vegetable oil, vanilla, eggs and milk.
- pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.
- spoon the batter into the prepared donut pan about 3/4 of the way up.
- bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
for the icing -
- mix the confectioners sugar, maple syrup and milk together until smooth.
- dip the top of the cooled donuts into the icing.
- garnish with the chopped bacon. take a bite.