so, as many of us do every sunday night, we sit down with some popcorn to watch masterchef. chef ramsay lays down the law in that place while looking SO smmooooth! in a recent episode, they were required to make donuts. one of the guys made a donut with proscuitto on top. i almost licked the doggone tv screen. i wanted to make my own version of a donut with bacon. my family is very happy that i did. it was a little bit of scraping in the kitchen, with bacon flying as we ate the donuts in silence. eh hem.
- 4 slices bacon -
- 2 cups flour -
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder -
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda -
- 3/4 cup sugar -
- 1/2 teaspoon salt -
- 1/4 cup butter - melted
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil -
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract -
- 2 eggs -
- 1 cup milk -
- 2 cups confectioners sugar -
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup -
- 1/4 cup milk -
- preheat the oven to 375 degrees. line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. place the strips of bacon on the prepared sheet and put it in the oven. bake for about 10 minutes on each side until crisp.
- remove the bacon strips to paper towels to drain.
- once cool enough to handle, chop into small pieces. set aside.
- lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
for the donuts -
- lightly spray the donut pan with cooking spray. set aside.
- i used a wilton nonstick 6-cavity donut pan to make these donuts.
- in a large bowl, add the dry ingredients of flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt. set aside.
- in another bowl, mix together the wet ingredients of butter, vegetable oil, vanilla, eggs and milk.
- pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.
- spoon the batter into the prepared donut pan about 3/4 of the way up.
- bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
for the icing -
- mix the confectioners sugar, maple syrup and milk together until smooth.
- dip the top of the cooled donuts into the icing.
- garnish with the chopped bacon. take a bite.