i was in the mood for some cinnamon rolls, so once again, i started looking through my fridge for ideas. my eyes focused on the cream cheese. i really need to stop keeping cream cheese in my fridge. lol. i started thinking of fruits and thought, man i just used all my strawberries yesterday. then i saw the strawberry jam staring me in the face on the front row. bingo!
- - cinnamon rolls
- 1/4 ounce package yeast -
- 1/2 cup warm water -
- 1/2 cup milk -
- 1/2 cup butter -
- 1/3 cup sugar -
- 1/2 teaspoon salt -
- 1 egg -
- 3 1/2 cup all purpose flour -
- - strawberry cream cheese filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese - softened
- 1/2 cup sugar -
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon -
- 3/4 cup strawberry jam -
- - icing
- 4 tablespoons butter - softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar -
- 1 teaspoon vanilla -
- 3 tablespoons milk -
- in a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water. allow the yeast to bloom (foam forms over the top), which takes about 10 minutes.
- meanwhile, add the milk to a saucepan. over low heat, warm the milk. add in the butter. as soon as the butter melts, cut off the heat and allow to cool down. in a large bowl, add the sugar, salt, and egg mixing to combine. add in the butter/milk mixture and combine as well. add in about half of the flour and mix. add in the yeast mixture and stir until incorporated. add in remaining flour. dump the mixture out onto a floured surface. knead the dough for about 5 - 10 minutes until smooth. if the dough is sticky, sprinkle some flour over the dough as you work. place the dough in a well greased bowl, and allow to doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- in a bowl, using an electric mixer, blend the cream cheese until fluffy. add in the sugar and cinnamon. blend until combined. set aside.
- punch down the dough and roll the dough out on a floured surface to about a 15 x 9 inch rectangle. spread the cream cheese mixture over the entire dough. spread the strawberry jam over top of the cream cheese. beginning with the longer side, roll up the dough gently. cut into 12 rolls. cut with a serrated knife and try not to press down to hard so the filling will stay inside the rolls.
- place the rolls in a buttered baking pan. cover with plastic wrap and allow the rolls to double in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- bake in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- while the rolls are in the oven, whisk together the butter and powdered sugar. add in the milk and vanilla; blend. drizzle over the warm rolls.