it's the nba finals tonight! everything is tied between the heat and the spurs, so it's some high anticipation on who is gonna win the championship. with my hubby as a sport blogger AND the fact that it is guy's night tonight, i have a tad bit of pressure to create the ultimate dessert for GAME 7, yeah! i know sometimes people think that cupcakes are dainty for guys, but we are gonna beef these babies up a bit. the perfect way to do it, is to add some sweet cream to the middle and dunk them in a rich chocolate satiny glaze. these were a HUGE hit. i won't call any names, but word has it on the street that a certain someone ate 4 cupcakes! no worries, it's a compliments, guys. 🙂
- - for the cupcakes
- 1/2 cup of butter (1 stick) - softened
- 1 cup sugar -
- 2 eggs -
- 2 teaspoons vanilla -
- 1 and 1/2 cup flour -
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder -
- 1/4 teaspoon salt -
- 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt -
- - homemade custard
- 1 egg -
- 1 and 1/2 cup milk - (i used 2%)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch -
- 1/4 cup sugar -
- 1 teaspoon vanilla -
- - chocolate glaze
- 3/4 cup semi chocolate chips -
- 3 tablespoons butter -
- 1 tablespoon dark corn syrup -
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract -
- preheat oven to 350 degrees. line a 12-count muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- in a mixing bowl using an electric blender, mix together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- mix in the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla.
- in a small bowl add in the flour, baking powder and salt. mix in half of dry ingredients to the wet, mix in the yogurt, and then mix in the remaining dry ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- spoon the batter into the prepared muffin liners. makes 14 cupcakes.
- bake in the preheated oven, about 15 - 20 minutes. please do not over bake the cupcakes. remove from oven and allow to cool.
- in a small saucepan, whisk the egg, milk, cornstarch and sugar over medium heat.
- using an apple corer or a spoon, plug out some of the middle of the cupcake. spoon the custard into the cupcakes.
- for the chocolate glaze - over a double boiler, heat the chocolate chips, butter and dark corn syrup.
- stir until everything is melted and combined. remove from the heat.
- turn each cupcake upside down and dip the top of each cupcake into the chocolate glaze.
- place on a nice decorative plate...
break open to see all the goodness...
*chocolate glaze adapted from allrecipes.