this recipe is simply amazing. my aunt bea gave me this recipe and it 'wows' us every time. everyone in my family knows she makes THE BEST sweet potato pies. this recipe is very close to her amazing sweet potato pie. i guess since the her love is missing and her beautiful hands did not make it, it's not quite as good as hers. you have to try this recipe. thanks, aunt bea. you are a gem! 🙂
- 3 medium sweet potatoes -
- 1/2 stick butter - room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar -
- 1/2 cup white sugar -
- 1/2 cup milk -
- 2 eggs - lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg -
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon -
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract -
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice -
- 1 teaspoon flour -
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder -
- 1 (9 inch) frozen pie crust - thawed
- preheat oven to 350 degrees. prick sweet potatoes with a fork and bake on a aluminum foil lined cookie sheet 50 - 60 minutes, or until soft to the touch. cool the sweet potatoes enough to handle and remove the skin.
- place sweet potatoes in a bowl. mix the sweet potatoes well with mixer, rinsing off any strings that may cling to the mixing whisks. mix in the butter, sugars, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon,vanilla and lemon juice. sift the flour and baking powder lightly over the batter and blend in. beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth. pour filling into an unbaked pie crust.
- bake at 350 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
depending on the size of your sweet potatoes, you may have enough filling for 2 pies!
if you do not have the time to cook the sweet potatoes, consider using a 17.2 ounce can of canned sweet potatoes instead.