i am in love with my crockpot. with 4 kids running around and 25,000 errands, it is always nice to set it and forget. plus, i love the aroma it leave as i enter and leave my house. this recipe is one of those that has your tummy begging for dinner. full of amazing flavor and tender beef, every bite is so good. the leftovers are better the next day. perfect with my browned butter mashed potatoes.
- 2-3 pound chuck roast -
- 5 cloves garlic -
- salt/pepper -
- 1/4 cup flour -
- 2 tablespoons canola oil -
- 1 onion - sliced into rings
- 8 ounces button mushrooms - sliced
- 1 packet onion soup mix -
- 1 cup beef broth -
- using a sharp knife, cut small slits all over the top and sides of the roast and place a garlic slice deep inside each slit. season the roast well with salt/pepper to taste and dredge in the flour. heat a saute pan over high heat and add 2 tablespoons of oil to pan. carefully place the roast in the hot pan and sear meat for 3 minutes on both sides. remove from pan, set aside.
- add onion slices and mushrooms to the crock pot as a bed for the roast. nest the roast on top of the onions and mushrooms.
- in a bowl mix together the onion soup mix and beef broth until combined. pour over roast.
- cook on low heat setting for 5 to 8 hours, depending on desired doneness.
you should be able to find a deal on a pot roast for a LOT less than what i posted. also, roast beef is usually on sale for the holidays. look for a good deal! stock up and freeze.