we love breakfast, which means we LOVE ihop - especially the the hash browns! my family of 6 can put away some hash browns! but of course, the we do not like the ihop price. it is fairly inexpensive but with a family of my size, it can get pricey. so i try to come up with creative ways to cook a variety of breakfast foods at home, in particular those hash browns! these potato cakes are crunchy, delicious and definitely puts our ihop craving to rest. 🙂
- 4 large russet potatoes - peeled, shredded
- 1/2 onion - grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder -
- 1 egg -
- 1/2 teaspoon flour -
- 1/2 cup canola oil -
- preheat a skillet over medium high heat.
- place shredded potatoes in a kitchen towel and squeeze all of the liquid out of the potatoes.
- put the shredded potatoes in a bowl. add in the grated onion, garlic powder, egg and flour. mix well until incorporated.
- add some oil to the pan, enough to coat the bottom of the skillet. place some of the potato mixture into the pan and spread out into a even thin layer forming a patty. sprinkle with salt/pepper to taste. try not to overcrowd the pan with potato patties, i cooked about 3 at a time. once you see the edges turning brown, flip to other side, again sprinkling with salt/pepper. cook until brown on other side and remove from pan to papertowels. repeat with remaining potato mixture.
this potato patties are great with breakfast and even better with dinner. i like them very simply but feel free to add other seasoning and herbs.