i LOVE peaches! and as much as i love peaches, i have one very lonely peach recipe on my website which is my moist peach streusel cake. so, i need to change that quickly! it was guy's nite again and i planned to use a bag of peaches that we had in the freezer. 'peach crumble' hit me like a ton of bricks. aren't crumbles the best? the fruit gets all soft, caramelized and velvety. but we can't forget, perhaps the most amazing part of the crumble... the crunchy crust. it soaks up some of the juice from the fruit and oh my. lol. magic happens. heaven on a plate. it's amazing how the simplest desserts, taste the absolute best! and a scoop of vanilla ice-cream on top, to melt over the warm crumble, is the icing on the doggone cake. 🙂
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen peaches - defrosted (about 6 cups sliced peaches)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar -
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon -
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch -
- 1 1/2 cup flour -
- 1/2 cup cornmeal -
- 3/4 cup brown sugar -
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon -
- 1 1/2 tablespoon baking powder -
- 1/2 teaspoon salt -
- 1 stick butter - diced into cubes
- 1 egg -
- 1/2 cup milk -
- preheat the oven to 375 degrees. butter a 10 inch cast iron skillet.
- note: i used a cast iron skillet similar to the one found here. set aside.
- combine the peaches, sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch in a bowl. set aside.
- in another bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients. using a fork, mash the butter into the dry ingredients.
- combine the egg and milk together in a small bowl. pour into the crumble mixture and mix until incorporated.
- add the peach mixture to the prepared skillet. sprinkle the crumble over the top.
- bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until browned and bubbly.